WHAT WE DO NOT SEE
What We Do Not See
2 Corinthians 4:18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.
1. THE UNSEEN HELP FOR US ALL.
A. BLESSINGS WE NEED.
1 Corinthians 2:9-12 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him. But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
B. THE PROMISES OF GOD FULFILLED TOTALLY. AN EXAMPLE IS THE PROMISE OF A NEW BODY.
2 Corinthians 4:16-5:2 For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory; While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal. For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:
C. THE MINISTRY OF ANGELS. UNSEEN, BUT PRESENT DAILY.
- HEALING. STIRRED THE WATERS AT BETHSAIDA. John 5:4 For an angel went down at a certain season into the pool, and troubled the water: whosoever then first after the troubling of the water stepped in was made whole of whatsoever disease he had.
- MINISTRY TO ENCOURAGE AND LIFT. TEMPTATION OF JESUS. Matthew 4:11 Then the devil leaveth him, and, behold, angels came and ministered unto him.
- PROVIDE FOR OUR NEEDS. ELIJAH—FOOD. I Kings 19:5 And as he lay and slept under a juniper tree, behold, then an angel touched him, and said unto him, Arise and eat.
- BRING JUDGMENT—SODOM. Genesis 19:13 For we will destroy this place, because the cry of them is waxen great before the face of the LORD; and the LORD hath sent us to destroy it.
- BRING PHYSICAL DELIVERANCE—BRINGING LOT & GIRLS OUT OF SODOM. Genesis 19:16 And while he lingered, the men laid hold upon his hand, and upon the hand of his wife, and upon the hand of his two daughters; the LORD being merciful unto him: and they brought him forth, and set him without the city.
- KEEPING MAN FROM A WORSE FATE. (ACCIDENTS, ETC. ?) KEPT ADAM FROM GARDEN. Genesis 3:24 So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.
- CARRIED MESSAGES FROM GOD. DANIEL. Daniel 8:15-17 And it came to pass, when I, even I Daniel, had seen the vision, and sought for the meaning, then, behold, there stood before me as the appearance of a man. And I heard a man’s voice between the banks of Ulai, which called, and said, Gabriel, make this man to understand the vision. So he came near where I stood: and when he came, I was afraid, and fell upon my face: but he said unto me, Understand, O son of man: for at the time of the end shall be the vision.
- CARRY OUT DECREES OF JUDGMENT. REVELATION. Revelation 15:6 And the seven angels came out of the temple, having the seven plagues, clothed in pure and white linen, and having their breasts girded with golden girdles.
- TO BRING SOULS TO THEIR PLACE OF JUDGMENT. Luke 16:22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham’s bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; —AND THIS IS FUTURE, TOO.— Matthew 24:31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.
2. WE MUST HAVE FAITH IN GOD TO ACCEPT THE UNSEEN.
A. WE HAVE NOT SEEN JESUS. He was before our time.
John 20:29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen Me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.
B. WE HAVE NOT SEEN THE FATHER.
Colossians 1:15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:
John 1:18 No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, He hath declared Him.
C. WE HAVE NOT SEEN GOD’S WRATH OR THE RAPTURE, BUT WE KNOW IT WILL COME.
Hebrews 11:7 By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.
3. WE MUST DEPEND UPON HIS WORD TO KNOW ABOUT THE UNSEEN.
A. THAT IS THE BASIS FOR OUR FAITH.
Hebrews 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.