JEREMIAH CHAPTERS 47-50
Should the past judgments of ungodly nations teach America an important lesson ?
1. Some thought they escaped what Israel received.
A. It is easier to think that tragedy can happen to “the other person”, but not to us.
B. Escape can actually be falling into another trap. Gen. 19:19-20
(Lot and daughters)
– People thinking that suicide is the way out of troubles and pain. Matt. 23:33
(Speaks of their future.)
– People of the last days. 1 Thes. 5:3
C. Some judgments and problems are meant to be endured, or overcome.
Ps. 55:5-8, Paul’s thorn in the flesh – 2 Cor. 12:7
2. Some thought that their good deeds bought their salvation.
A. Their faith in their diligence.(Jer. 48:7)
B. Their trust in being able to do all the laws of God and men. Rom. 3:20,28
3. Some thought that their past could deliver them from the present judgment.
A. Nation’s heritage can be left behind. Former power cannot save unless it
has stayed current. (Jer. 48:45)
B. Being a good child is not enough to save a person from hell. Many think
otherwise. Heb. 2:3