JEREMIAH CHAPTER 6
WHEN OLD WAYS ARE BETTER THAN NEW ONES
1. Stand (put yourself again) in the old ways, and see.
*Requires observation. People can become too busy to realize
what is happening to them.
A. The oldest ways are God’s ways. Isaiah 55:9
B. The newer ways are our own ways. Psalm 119:59
C. Requires an honest receiving of the facts.
– Can’t be merely head knowledge. Psalms 95:10
– Can’t come from questionable sources.
2. Ask for the old ways
A. Must believe in the power of prayer. Mark 11:24
B. Must be willing to change. Jer. 16:12, 2 Kings 17:40
C. Must expect to receive.
3. Walk in the Old Ways.
A. Abandoning the ‘new’ ones.
– Turning around = Repentance.
B. There is blessing in the old ways. Pro. 23:26
C. There is condemnation in the new ways. Mal.2:9
Do We Really Know What God Wants Us To Be?
Jeremiah 6:27 – I have set thee for a tower and a fortress among my people, that thou mayest know and try their way.
1. Purposes of a good tower.
A. To see better. Psalms 61:2 & Habakkuk 2:1
– God is our tower: Psalms 144:2
B. To defend better. 2 Chronicles 26:15
C. To be seen as a directional device.
(Towers, lighthouses, etc. all used as landmarks)
2. Purposes of a good fortress.
A. To defend the town from aggressors.
We should not be looked upon as the salvation of the lost.
We must always point them to God. Deut. 28:52
– Parents duty. The work of the perfect parent: John 17:15
– Husband’s duty: Ephesians 5:25
– Friend’s duty: 1 Tim. 2:1
B. To provide a high place to defeat the enemy.
C. To keep out what is evil. Psalms 18:2 (My Deliverer)
D. To provide confidence to others. Isaiah 62:6