JEREMIAH CHAPTER 10
How Could People Who Know So Much NOT Fear The Lord ? (Jer. 10:7) Acts 9:31
1. How do we know when the fear of the Lord is not present ?
A. When people think they can do whatever God does.
– manufacturing creative works, etc. (Jer. 10:9)
B. When people make their own gods. (Jer. 10:2-5)
– They create their own image of God. Rom. 1:21-23
– They obviously worship other gods. (Even modern man.)
Col. 3:5 explains what idol worship is today.
– Even going along with others would be wrong. Dan. 3:18
2. The attributes of God should cause healthy fear.
A. We need His wisdom. (Jer. 10:7)
– Comes only by absolute faith. James 1:5
B. We need His might. (Jer. 10:6) Eph. 1:19
C. We must avoid His anger. (Jer. 10:10) Heb. 10:31
– By faithful obedience, not complaint. Num. 11:1
– By truthful confession of our sins. (Jer. 2:35)
3. What an angry God could do.
A. Chasten His own people. (Jer. 10:16-18)
– People close to Him don’t want His correction in anger. (Jer. 10:24)
Psalm 6:1, Psalm 38:3
– After chastening, comfort. Isaiah 12:1
B. Come against the unbelievers. (Jer. 10:25) Zech. 7:12
Bible Prophecy Can Either Be An Eye-opener, or Another Giant Yawn If We Aren’t Careful !
1. Seeing judgement should motivate a sensitive heart. (Jer. 10:24)
A. Seeing the way the world has become. 2 Pet. 3:11
B. Seeing the way families have become. Luke 12:45, 2 Tim. 3:3
C. Seeing the way marriages have become. Mal. 2:13-15
2. Seeing the world’s sins should make us see how much sin affects us. (Jer. 10:25)
A. Worldly attitude towards personal sin. “It’s someone elses fault.” Rom. 2:15
B. Wordly acceptance of sin. “Everybody does it.” Matt. 24:12, John 21:21
C. Worldly excuse for sin. “No judgement day ahead.” 2 Peter 3:4
3. Seeing that sin is the breaking of any of God’s laws.
A. Covenant or agreement. Ex. 19:5, Lev. 26:15
B. A command. Gen. 2:16
C. Guidance or leading from the Holy Spirit. Acts 13:2 & 4, 15:28, 16:6, 20:23
It Seems That Some Scriptures Are Simply Repeated Messages From The Past !
1 John 2:21, 5:13
1. Why does God have to tell us things we already know ?
A. We might not know them as well as we think. Matt. 6:7, Luke 12:40
B. We all need reminding from time to time. Rom. 12:3, Gal. 6:3
C. It is convenient to forget some things. James 1:24
2. Why must God repeat His messages periodically ?
A. Thick necks. (Comes from taking blessings the wrong way.)
Deut. 32:15, 2 Chron. 26:16
B. Some people cannot hear or see. 2 Pet. 1:9
C. Some have hard hearts. Mark 6:52, Heb. 3:13
3. The religion of the heathen is current.
A. Worship of material things. Rom. 1:25, 1 John 2:15
B. Attributing powers to inanimate objects.
C. Embellishing the gods of the world does nothing but make them more
attractive to others.